Monday, April 11, 2005

Re-habs

Last night I made an incredible batch of ribs, with a kickass BBQ sauce. I need to record it before I forget what I put in it:

A few tablespoons of honey
1/2 cup Kagome Okonomiyaki Ketchup (available at Japanese grocers)
1/2 cup Thai Spicy Chicken sauce (available everywhere)
A few tablespoons of pomegranite syrup (available at middle eastern grocers)
Two heads of pickled garlic (available at Asian grocers)
One large purple onion, peeled
1/2 to one cup Korean Pepper Sauce (KPS is about as specific as I can get with the name)
1/4 cup brown sugar
Dash of coarse grain sea salt
Dash of whole peppercorns
Dash of garlic powder

This is about as simple as meals get at Dr. Five Pints' house.



First I combined some of the less gooey ingredients with the honey and microwaved it. This was a good way to get all of it out of the jar. I tossed this mixture into my food processor. Then I threw in the pickled garlic, the onion, and the rest of the ingredients and blended it well.
When it was approaching soupiness, I added enough water to double its volume. I ended up marinating the ribs in this sauce overnight. The next day (last night) it ended up being too cold outside to barbecue. So I built a fire inside and boiled the ribs in the sauce on the stove. When they were cooked, I removed them and reduced the sauce (adding a little more pepper sauce and chicken sauce). When it reduced down to somewhere between honey and ketchup-like consitency, I figured it was time to test it out. I've uttered these words several times in the past year, but this is the BEST rib sauce I've ever made. Believe it or not, this actually represents far fewer ingredients than I usually use, and the simplicity helps it. I've got six ribs in my lunch for today and thus will be evading the Specialty'es'ies' monster once again.

2 Comments:

Blogger drbiggles said...

Man, just think how that'd go grilled or smoked with a load of mesquite/hickory.
Maybe you need to set up an outdoor area with a wind baffle and get a large jacket with some heavy gloves. Those ribs deserved a real fire!
MmMMMmmm, ribs.

Biggles

2:59 PM  
Blogger Dr. Jones said...

How right you are...the texture is completely different when they're boiled. Normally I wouldn't wimp out, and I'd go mesquite all the way. This time though it was "inside night".

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home