Monday, May 23, 2005

V-Gun

Every once in a while, even the vegetarian Iguana decides to chomp down a few bugs or a slow-moving lizard. So it is with your meaty host. I have decided to go vegan again for a period of about three months, both for my general health and to lose some weight. Hopefully this will culminate in a SCUBA trip at the end of the summer, so I want to be looking good for that.

Let's get something straight: I don't care about the poor little animals. I don't care that we invade bees' homes and steal their food just so we can make toast taste better. I have no qualms running over a squirrel in my car if the alternative is to cause an accident. I don't believe that veganism is even a healthy lifestyle - more like an eating disorder.

Humans' gut size is too short for us to extract nutrients from, say, grasses and tree bark. On the other hand, it's too long for us to be carnivorous because the meat stays too long in the intestines, rotting and causing cancers. I knew one guy who was on an archaeology dig with me last summer in Japan who was convinced that the way to go was to adhere to a 'caveman diet'. This essentially meant not cooking any food, not seasoning it, and hardly eating vegetables of any kind. His pores oozed meat juice day and night, and it was a truly disgusting sight to see him chowing down on a plate of raw horse meat day after day. This is the opposite extreme of veganism which just goes to show that any extreme diet practice can become a disorder.


A total dream date.

Now here's the part where I describe my crazy disorder. I am into the small meals diet. Humans' gut size also suggests (rightly so) that we came out of the trees as hunter-foragers, stuffing our faces with about a handful of food every couple hours. Our metabolism is set up to operate optimally with this amount of caloric intake. The small meals diet works like crazy - I've lost five pounds in the past week and a half. Combine it with low-fat vegan (i.e. you can't just have potato chips six times a day) and a lot of exercise and you've got a winning combination. This site has a lot of great information on the small meals plan (and unlike all the other fools out there, they are not selling anything).

As I said, I don't care about the cute little animals. I will be cheating on the vegan part of the diet whenever the mood strikes me. But, so far I've been pretty good.

4 Comments:

Blogger drbiggles said...

Yeah, I dunno man. Ain't extreme diet flip flops worse than carrying a few extra pounds? Wouldn't it better for your body to choose a lifestyle of moderation, good diet and sustained exercise be better for your overall health? I've got a mostly vegetarian situation now and can't imagine a vegan one being actually GOOD for you. Sure it's good for you if you have chosen this due to your beliefs on animals. More power to ya. Get thee to The Bay Trail and start riding pally boy, while you're still able.

Biggles

2:42 PM  
Blogger Dr. Jones said...

RE: moderation. Good luck. I am a foodie. Also, I ride my bike about fifteen miles a day and lift weights in my gym. I am still getting fat - see the title of my blog for a good reason why :-)

Like I said, I don't care about the poor little animals. I'm an omnivore.

3:42 PM  
Blogger drbiggles said...

Hey mang,

Yeah, moderation isn't in my vocabulary. I did up some fatted calf sausage for the family over mesquite last night and ended up having a sausage and a half. The gout was making my feet swell last night, but it was worth it.
15 miles a day? Weights? When you got time for that?

Biggles

9:17 AM  
Blogger Dr. Jones said...

You said it, brother. All I have time for during my day is:
my 9:AM workout
Work 10-7
my 8:PM workout
dinner 10 p.m
beers
movies
sleep 1:AM-8:AM

lather, rince, repeat.

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home