Monday, June 13, 2005

Die with a "T"

Bring us a shrubbery


Blog=Weblog=Diary. A public one. "Dear internet: today some bullshit happened to me and you're the only one I can talk to about it. " Perfect, right?

Not going to happen on the five pints.

I want to update you all, however, on the status of my diet.
  1. The vegan thing lasted about a week
  2. The small meals thing is only possible during the work week
  3. I quickly lost about ten pounds, then gained back about five

People in my family gain and lose weight very quickly, so I'm not surprised by this yo-yoing of my waistline. Also, my exercise regimens lately have focused a lot more on weightlifting than on cardio, so I'm burning calories but not as much as in past months--just putting on mass on my arms, not taking it off of my gut.

E and I are, however, about to go on a forced week of veganism. We're going backpacking in Tahoe and won't exactly be in the business of carrying around meat. Unless I catch us some fish in those pristine, chilly lakes it's going to be tasty bite and instant rice for five days straight.

Over the fourth of July weekend, E and I are going to my cousin's cabin in Mendo for some recreation. I am not a playa dust junkie. You will never see me at burning man or anything resembling it. But, this yearly expedition to the mid-north of California is my burning man, as much as Star Wars III was my superbowl. It is a chance to get together with my family and friends and cook huge meals, drink huge kegs, and practice my four wheeling and shotgun shooting.


This is how we liberal elites advocate for policy change.

Whenever E and I attend this event we do so with the intention of making some awesome food, and that's what we do. Towards the beginning of the festivities I'll make something crazy like a whole leg of lamb slowly roasted or a whole bunch of Cornish game hens. After four days of eating little else but meat, all the campers go nuts when we break out the vegan dutch oven stews, composed of fresh organic produce purchased along the way up to the cabin. Moderation? Not in the wilderness. It's all or nothing, one or the other. Can't wait.

2 Comments:

Blogger drbiggles said...

Gee, I wonder the the outofdoors look like these days. I haven't been out in years. My wife is allergic to anything but dirt and even that on bad days can be tough. This means we don't head East of San Pablo Avenue, not good. And I'm going to put our full sized American van up for sale, this means camping trips will be even tougher. Have a few cool refreshing beverages.

As a side note, when we used to go up and do those types of things, we'd stop by the local thrift shops and buy up dollies & manequin heads. Fill the dollies up with ketchup and use them all as target practice. Not very PC I understand, but it was a lot of fun.

Biggles

2:40 PM  
Blogger Dr. Jones said...

WHY AM I JUST HEARING ABOUT THIS NOW???? Goodwill, here I come.

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home