Friday, November 18, 2005

an izakaya stateside

So by now you know what I don't like in a sushi spot. But what do I like?
I like a friendly staff who aren't fake-friendly, affordable sushi that isn't the equivalent of day-old doughnuts, flowing saké and or beer, clean tables and silverware, and generosity.



I am so jazzed about this place I found randomly while on my way to north beach a couple of months ago. It has the best (read: friendliest) atmosphere I've seen in a soosh joint stateside, and really makes me feel like I'm eating at an Izakaya/Nomiya without having to shell out like you do at Kisu sushi. The name in Japanese says "Izakaya and Sushi"; in English, "Yokohama Japan LuLu Sushi". It's at 901 Kearney, phone number 415-398-4598. I would advise calling ahead because the hours sometimes change. This is the kind of place that really, really needs to stay in business. I think one thing that might hurt them is that they have no liquor license. But, they are next door to a liquor shop, several bars, and other restaurants, and will let you bring any booze you want with no corkage. Menu items, you ask? I have had many excellent things there. Their Izakaya food is just as good as their sushi; most of it robata/yakiniku style suff. One of the best things they make is the lamb ribs (4 or more if I remember for like 8 bucks); they're delicious. They always have good fish and if their fish isn't up to the task they tell you so. Last night E and I went there for an Omakase meal (if you're not familiar with this, it's just a blanket term for "send me a bunch of stuff that you choose". You can of course tell them what you don't want to eat up front). We had:

salmon shioyaki (2) (!!!)
maguro ~tataki (2) (!!)
salmon 'soup' (1) (!!) (you pour beer in it)
shiro maguro soosh (4) (!!!)
hirame sashimi (~10) (!!!)
gyoza (6) (!)
yakisoba (huge) (!)

We brought a coupla beers in with us, so the whole bill was under fifty bucks. It helps to speak Japanese, but they also speak English and Chinese. The owner is from (duh) Yokohama, Japan's second largest city and home of its best Chinatowns. Do yourself a favor and check them out...and tell them five pints recommended it to you!

11 Comments:

Blogger drbiggles said...

Lamb rib sushi? Yeah, I dunno man.

I hope they do stay in business too. Keep after them, make sure they're okay on a routine basis.

Is it time to go home yet?

2:26 PM  
Blogger E said...

Yum. I'm hungry again!

2:31 PM  
Blogger chilebrown said...

Okay, How do I say in Japanese or Chinese that " 5 Pints recomends this place" I am a scared that I would say something Iowonian!

10:28 PM  
Blogger chilebrown said...

How did you do at your latest DOG?

10:34 PM  
Blogger uncle jazzbeau said...

Yum, FP. I must try it. When are we going to Sugata again?

6:46 AM  
Blogger drbiggles said...

I hope A J isn't dead. He hasn't responded to anyone. Are you okay? Do you need a meat deliver?

3:26 PM  
Blogger Dr. Jones said...

hahaha...i'm here. i had an insane weekend. this place (lulu) is the best--and yes, the lamb is cooked to perfection.
one of the items I forgot to mention in the lineup is the one they comped us - pork and scallion robata. tastytasty.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Dr. Jones said...

Ha...I finally reverted to my real nickname.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Dr. Jones said...

yes, and...

I'd like to organize a raiding party to visit this shop. It's not going to last, but it would be nice to help fill their coffers before they disappear.I know Jim is down, maybe Biggles too. E and I will of course go and a couple that we know are into it as well.

Anyone else interested? I will probably post this on Tribe.net too.

12:53 PM  
Blogger uncle jazzbeau said...

Lemme know when and where.

4:11 AM  
Blogger Dr. Jones said...

Update: they now have a liquor license.

12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home