Tuesday, February 07, 2006

put this in your smoker and...um...smoke it

Hey everyone;

I just got a Brinkmann smoker a few weeks ago and have been trying it out. The first thing I cooked in it was rack of lamb. It was enough to sell me on the smokey flavor immediately. I cooked it really slow and a lot of the flavor seeped in. I have tried larger cuts of meat but if you don't want to be all day/evening/night about it, you need to use more heat. So far I've done a pork loin and boneless leg of lamb. A coupla days ago I slow smoked a rack of baby back ribs and some pork belly. Pork belly is what we usually call bacon, but with the skin on and not sliced. I removed the skin (in hindsight, should have made chicharrones with it) and sliced the belly into bacon-sized strips. It was excellent.

In the vegetarian department I have smoked whole onions and jalapeños. The next thing I'm going to try is habaneros. The 'peños were so hot after being smoked as to be almost inedible, even to E's mom who is a world class pepper connoisseuse. Can't wait to see what she thinks of these 'neros.

2 Comments:

Blogger drbiggles said...

Alright! You go.

The first year I got my big smoker it was in use about 3 to 4 times a week. Go, go, go, go. Whatever it was, went in the smoker. Sliced red onions, cabbage, blah blah blah. Hey, have you tried smoking some fancy squash? That might be a neat. Gee, I wonder if it'll be going up to the cabin with you?

Biggles

3:50 PM  
Blogger chilebrown said...

I can smell a smoker cookoff in the works!! You have inspired me to break out my smoker this weekend. I am hip to the pork belly smokin. I am going to try my hand at bacon again!!!

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home